Wednesday, June 17, 2015

What Elizabeth Gilbert Learned From Tom Waits



I started this blog seven years ago, as a exploration of what it means to live life creatively. I've learned about, and from so many creative people along the way, and continue to do so.

This journey truly began in 1994, when I was first introduced to a book and recommended by art therapist friend. It was then I read, The Artist's Way a Spiritual Path to Higher Creativity by Julia Cameron,  which was powerful and life changing for me. I know I always rave about this book, for good reason.  Julia Cameron's ten spiritual principles, and exercises, especially the practice of morning pages, helped me immeasurably. I learned the importance of daily writing. It was the way to channel and create my own creativity. Daily journaling has enabled me to achieve important goals and fulfill some life long dreams.

So many wonderful books about creativity, and not enough time, and am always excited to learn of new good reads by creative people, especially about creative process in all forms.

I have never read the Eat, Pray Love I didn't even see the movie, nor do I recall hearing anything about of Elizabeth Gilbert, though I had heard the title, as a good friend recommended it to me some time ago, but I never got around to reading it. Some times I feel I live in cave. Progress not perfection is the order of my days.

So I consulted the Google god! I found this great TED talk with Elizabeth Gilbert. When she mentioned the Greeks and Romans, along with Tom Waits, she got my attention!

Now I have to read Eat, Pray, Love, and can hardly wait for Big Magic! I'll  skip the movie, because the book is always better than the movie right?

No comments: