Saturday, January 31, 2015

Graham Metson


Graham Metson, Renacer, Clorado, 1969


When I first arrived at the Nova Scotia College of Art and Design in 1972, my first drawing class was with a stylish and handsome Englishman. Of course being in my early twenties, terrified and intimidated to be in art school in my very early twenties, I never thought about how attractive he was. I did know there was something very special about Graham Metson, and I never forgot him.  It was exciting to be in his class, and he expected us to work as disciplined young adults independently on the particular projects he had assigned to us. We didn't all do this, most of us tried, but he clearly confirmed my belief, that it was important I know how to draw.

The first time I saw Graham's paintings, I remember how much they impressed me visually, with their vibrant colour, imagery, and narrative genre. They completely captured my young imagination. Specifically I loved a triptych he did, that I saw at the Anna Leonowens Gallery. I'd never seen any work quite like this and it touched me.

Graham was very different than other instructors at NSCAD in that he was schooled in England and had a free spirit that made him very approachable and down to earth. I did not really get to know him so much personally, but I do remember very well going to his apartment with a friend where we met his wife. She was a lovely woman and did the most beautiful applique work, and if memory serves me, I think she'd made a jacket for Graham that was exquisite.

I consider myself to have been extremely fortunate to have had Graham as my first drawing teacher, because he gave me the structural foundation to build upon my drawing skills. He was an energetic, engaging teacher.
I am very happy I have been able to reconnect with him after all these years, and I am excited to learn that he now has a website grahammetson.com that I wanted to share.

There is a wealth of information on his site that I am certain people will find compelling. Graham has had such an interesting life. I greatly admire his intellect, talent, and his dedication to his art. He is a philosophical, visionary artist and writer.
I was particularly interested in his book about Alex Colville Dairy of a War Artist, whom I have admired greatly.

Graham is truly one of a kind, and I am a better person and artist for knowing him. I am grateful that he was my first drawing teacher. 

No comments: