Sunday, January 11, 2015

Ashton Cooper Enlivens The Discussion

Christine de Pisan Goes Viral - Catherine Meyers


It's a low key Sunday. I haven't done much of anything but tried to feed the wood stove to keep warm, write, and cook a turkey, and of course hang out online.

 One of my past painting instructors posted this item on Facebook that was from the site Hyperallergic entitled The Problem of the Overlooked Female Artist An Argument For Enlivening a Stale Model of Discussion. It is a poignant much needed discussion written by New York Artist Ashton Cooper, and I was compelled to share it.

One of the very best things I loved about returning to University as a mature student was taking art history. When I attended the Nova Scotia College of Art and Design in the 70s, the art history professors were men with one exception, but when I returned after thirty years to finish my Bachelor of Fine Art degree at Mount Allison University the art history teachers were all women. What a wonderfully exciting, enriching and refreshing experience it was having a female perspective on art history, and to learn about so many artists that were women. It was a far cry from the lack of female art historians in the past and the distorted view of female artists throughout history that seemed to be non-existent.

One of the many artists I was really taken with was Christine de Pizan , who was a writer born in 135, and her career spanned over a period covering 1399-1429. I did a painting project of her for a class, Women, Art and Society, which I enjoyed immensely.
Christine de Pisan is a timeless artist,  a Renaissance woman, and historical mentor for contemporary women, and I am grateful she did not get overlooked.



No comments: