Sunday, July 13, 2014

Separation and Friendship - Mr. G and Jelly Bean




Sometimes I have days when I think oh Lord, what am I going to write about today? I have been regularly writing this blog for six and a half years now, and have learned to let go of concerning myself too much with what I am going to write. I keep my ears and eyes open, simply trust my intuition, and let synchronicity happen, exactly what happened today.

This morning I came upon a post in a blog called Dragon, that I subscribe to, a compelling blog of great interest, on a variety of topics. Today's post was from the Guardian about photos from Frida Kahlo's personal photo album that I also wanted to share. The photograph's are of course in black and white, and I think they capture the essence and the strength of her soul, and are so intimate, beautiful and profound.

 There are many reasons I think I feel such an affinity with Frida Kahlo, and I'm certain if I had ever known her, I would have loved her very much. I can't however, exactly explain why it is, she never seems to be far from my thoughts. It's a odd thing that happens, when you feel such a bond with someone you have never met. I do know there are and will be, more women to come, who will identify with Frida Kahlo, as I do, and feel the same strong kinship with her regardless of having never known her personally, because of who she was, what she experienced in her life, and in spite of her death, her spirit lives on, because she lived her life to the fullest and thrived, not in spite of, but perhaps because of what she suffered, creating powerful, amazing art, and her legacy continues to mean so much to others.

Earlier this morning I found this same kind of meaning, after listening to an interview with Rebecca Solnit for a second time. She was talking about the death of her mother, and her most recent book The Far Away Near By. It is a book about suffering, and stories and a whole lot more. I have not read any of her books, but I certainly will now, after learning more about this talented, gifted, intelligent, wise and creative woman.

One of the many things that struck me during the interview repeated today, was when she quoted from French philosopher, Simone Weil, about experiencing separation from those we love through death or some kind of distance. When I reflected on this, I thought what a perfect explanation, embodying  the perfect definition of friendship, love and separation. This quote also gave me some insight into understanding how you can feel friendship with those you've never known, other then through what they have left behind, in the form of their creative work, or still feel deep connection with those we are separated from. Here is the quote.

" For when two beings who are not friends are near each other there is no meeting, and when friends are far apart there is no separation."  - Simone Weil

Another quote I found about friendship is from the writer I deeply identify with and love, Henry David Thoreau who was a naturalist, poet and philosopher.

" The language of friendship is not words but meanings." - Henry David Thoreau

I have come to the conclusion that we are all much more connected than we realize regardless if we have ever met and regardless of our distance for whatever the reasons. It's a comforting thing to know and gives our life meaning.

No comments: