Sunday, July 20, 2014

Leonard Cohen - " So The Day Does Not Go Down In Debt "


" [Writing] begins with an appetite to discover my self-respect. To redeem the day. So the day does not go down in debt. It begins with that kind of appetite. " - Leonard Cohen

I so love this quote of Leonard Cohen's. It can be applied to any kind of creative process. It's not motivated by any thing else, but the creative process, in and of itself, and to discover that self-respect and redemption of the day, and having that creative appetite. It makes so much sense to me. To others it may seem very impractical, even delusional, particularly from a monetary perspective.
 I see it as a kind of letting go of the outcome, but continuing to work hard, through to the final outcome of the creative process.

Yesterday, I took a trip to a near by village where there is a new Art-Lab-Studios & Gallery  that has recently opened. I had a chance to drop in and speak to the artist on duty. We had a good heart to heart chat, about making a living or supporting yourself as an artist, the difficulties and struggles that you face. Regardless, we continue to pursue our creativity and art. I do believe is it because of what Leonard Cohen states in the quote above.

This week most gratefully, I was able to sell some of my work and I felt wonderful about the remuneration I received from a person whom I know, is very appreciative of my work as an artist. What a great feeling to firstly have someone truly appreciate my work, in supporting me morally, and monetarily. More often than not this is not the case, but it is vital that I not devalue what I do, by asking for less than what I know the work is worth. This is directly related to self-respect and not allowing " the day to go down in debt " in more ways than one.

I am certain, Leonard has known, like many artists, in a very personal way, how the days have gone down in debt, myself included, and today I choose not to let that happen.

No comments: