Monday, April 7, 2014

A Gentleman of Leisure



When I think of Jesse Winchester, I think of my youth, and my late brother who died when he was Jesse's age now, 69.
My brother Ralph and I shared a huge deep love for music, and a great big, the biggest love, and appreciation for Jesse.
I think Jesse is one of those wonderful musicians, and song writers, that helped to bridge the communication gap, and ten year age difference between my brother and myself. Jesse taught us about life, love, and what really mattered, our relationships.

Jesse's tenderhearted personality comes shining through in his lyrics and music. It's not much wonder people feel they know him personally.
I always felt, and got the distinct, and strong impression he is such a humble, gentle soul, and as genuine as a person could ever be. I think this is one of the main reasons so many folks love him.

His writing makes it apparent and obvious what he loves, appreciates about life, and about the world, particularly in his own personal life. His values and convictions are so greatly admired by his fans, and are a big part of his legacy, along with his music, and tender sweet voice, deportment, and songs. Of this I am  certain, it is what touches people so very deeply. He certainly always poignantly touches my heart, in more ways than I express and count. I will always, and forever be his biggest fan, besides my brother Ralph of course.

There have been conflicting reports this morning about Jesse's death though I know he is gravely ill. My heart aches with sadness and sorrow.
Confident in knowing Jesse will be most welcomed in Glory, and Heaven will rejoice with angel choirs eternally.

Jesse Winchester is and always will be greatly loved by all who had the privilege to know and love him. He truly is a country Gentleman of  Leisure. Rest easy Jesse.


Gentleman Of Leisure

I want a job that's not too demanding
Like where you do a lot of standing
No way to be an elevator operator
No way a salesman, no way a waiter
Cause I'm a gentleman, gentleman of leisure
The classified ads got nothing too appealing
I don't know, but I just got the feeling
I might take a while to find a position
With a pretty secretary, time to do some fishing
Cause I'm a gentleman, gentleman of leisure
I'm a gentleman
Gentleman of leisure
Set me in the sun
Gentleman of leisure
Let me take my time
Bet you I can please you
Forty-hour week - can't you make it thirty
No heavy lifting - you get yourself dirty
Beautiful office - thirty-seven floors
Paintings on the wall
Title on the door says,
Gentleman of Leisure
I look nice in a clean white collar
Take-home pay, O say a million dollars
I'll keep looking, never say die
Somebody, somewhere is looking for a guy
Who's a gentleman, gentleman of leisure
© Jesse Winchester


I Wave Bye Bye

Just out in the harbor
All the ships asleep
Maybe one cold watchman
Walks a lonely beat
Way out on the water
A ship is under sail
Leaving wavy starlight
And a dreamer in her trail
I wave bye bye
I pray God speed
I wish lovely weather
More luck than you need
You'll only sail in circles
So there's no need to cry
No, I'll see you again one day
And then I waved bye bye
The sailing ship reminds me
Of a certain girl
Who left a certain dreamer
To sail into the world
I've very friendly post-cards
From very far away
But they just remind me
Of a certain day
I wave bye bye
I pray God speed
I wish lovely weather
And all the luck that you need
You'll only sail in circles
So there's no need to cry
No, I'll see you again one day
And then I waved bye bye
© Jesse Winchester

2 comments:

Unknown said...

So there's no need to cry
No, I'll see you again one day

Unknown said...

Thank you Bart for your kindness. I feel better.